- Finding a job is a Job – treat it like a part-time project that you’ve been hired to do, to showcase your research, writing, and personal marketing and sales abilities.
- Targeted Resumes are a must – remember to tailor each resume to the target role/company. That might only require simple asjustments in wording or layout.
- Targeting Your Efforts is Key – it’s better to identify and target 25-30 companies, and follow a simple strategy (such as Intro/Share/Contact) than it will ever be simply apply to any and every job online
- Don’t Wait – Take Action – you can’t wait for them to contact you. Have a timed strategy in place to make your 3-5 impressions, and then schedule them and be consistent.
- Use a Broad Search Strategy – this should include job posting websites, company sites, state and fed employment agencies, and your personal, professional, and online network.
- Brand yourself – align your resume, your LinkedIn profile, online executive Bios, and anything else you’re using during your job search.
- Craft various stories – Situational / Achievement / Results focused stories that sell your experiences, talents, and strengths. Also craft your story of struggle and interest in each target company.
- Prepare for Interviewing —Company research, job / contact research, exploratory, standard, behavioral & situational interview questions.
- Do your Salary Research – see what the market is paying, not only for your target job but for your unique skills and abilities. The sum might be worth a lot more than it’s parts.
- Get out there and Networking – Traditional networking opportunities, Eventbrite, Meetup, school alumni groups, corporate alumni groups, professional and industry associations.
- Follow Up! – This might be the most important and missed point of all. Start and finish your job search process by following up with potential employers.
Did this help? Are their any other points of advice you'd recommend?
Let me know your thoughts in the comments. And if I can be of service to you, contact me at email@example.com.