- many of us have others that depend on us
- all of us are under constant attack by marketing and social media vying for our attention
- and most of us haven’t ever really been taught how to focus, really.
So how do you focus?
Below is a simple but powerful strategy for getting focused and getting things done
- MAKE A DECISION
Decide that your job search is important - it doesn't mean nothing else is more important, but that it's worth daily focused time.
- HAVE A PLAN
You're always part of a plan. The sad part is, if you don't have a plan you're very likely a pawn in someone else's. But if you create a plan of action - setting a clear goal, writing steps to that goal, deciding what your next best step is, and getting to work on it - you then have the ability to determine what's helping you towards it and what's distracting you from it.
- WRITE DOWN YOUR NEXT STEP
Once you've decided to focus, you have a plan, and you know what you're next best step is, get out a post-it or piece of paper and write down your Goal for that period of time. Put it up where you can see it during your work. If you're in job search mode, maybe something like "Create list of 20 companies/jobs I'd like to target and identify one contact from each (through LinkedIn, a friend, or their website)."
- STARVE YOUR DISTRACTIONS and FOCUS
Now that you've decided to focus, got your plan, and know what you're next step is -
- Turn off all distractions - your phone, your email, your notifications, your social media.
- Find a place where you feel productive, where you won't be distracted and have what you need to get your next action accomplished.
- Set a timer for 1-3hrs and go to it!
This simple set of steps always, always works...if you do it.
How do I know? Because I just used it to write this post! :)